The modern pet industry tries to satisfy the most demanding requirements of pet owners and produces a huge variety of cat litter. From the presented variety of models, differing in functionality, size, design, cost, each cat owner can choose the one that suits both the owner and the pet. Choose dog proof cat litter box.
Our material will help you determine which toilet for a cat is better, we will tell you what types there are, consider their pros and cons, and talk about the necessary accessories.
How to choose the right cat litter box?
When buying a litter box for a cat, you need to think over all the details, because it should fit your pet and at the same time, its cleaning should be convenient.
Pay attention to:
- The material from which the tray is made
- Cover presence / absence
- Size, shape, and depth
- Simplicity and convenience in cleaning
- Cat attraction
- The cost
- Overall appearance
1. The material from which the cat litter box is made must be light and strong enough. This is usually plastic. Products that are too light can easily turn over with the pet during active raking, which can be very frightening and permanently discourage the desire to use it.
2. Run your hand over the entire surface of the toilet – it should be smooth, without any defects that can injure your kitty.
Whether the tray for your cat will be closed on top with a voluminous lid. It all depends on whether your pet loves such solitude and whether he will step over the side of such a tray at all. Models with a lid resemble a house in their appearance and provide the animal with complete privacy when going to the toilet. There are also models with a cartridge mounted in the lid that absorbs unpleasant odors.
3. The size, shape and depth of the cat litter box are of no small importance. It should be sized so that the cat fits freely in it and unfolds. For lovers of good grazing, you should choose a toilet with high sides so that the sand does not spill out.
Types of cat litter
Let’s start our review with the simplest models, and gradually move on to the most advanced and expensive types.
Flat plastic tray with low sides
The most common model bought by most feline owners. It is a regular rectangular plastic box. Can be used with any type of filler.
- A budget option.
- Just look after.
- The litter is emptied when the cat buries its feces.
Christina: “From my own experience, I can say that an ordinary plastic tray without a grid, with clumping filler came up to me. It absorbs urine very well. My kitty categorically refused to go to the net, as well as to any other fillers, except for mineral. When my kitty was a small kitten, we had a small tray with low sides, now a grown lady has a tray of the same type just larger in size.
Flat tray with removable mesh (grid) inside
The model is similar to the previous one, only a grill is installed inside the plastic tray. There is a small distance between the bottom of the product and the grill. The filler in this model can be poured both on the grate and under it on the bottom of the tray. Allowed to use without filler.
- The stool seeps to the bottom of the tray, leaving the feet clean and dry.
- Low cost.
- If you are using a litter box, you will need to wash it several times a day.
Valentina: “I don’t use filler in principle. Spare money. My cats always go to the litter box. I try to keep track of when they went to the toilet and immediately wash the tray and grate under running water with a cleaning agent. Around such a tray is always clean, no filler and dirt. “
The model is suitable for those pets who like to thoroughly grab the filler, scattering it in all directions. High sides will prevent the filler from scattering outside the tray.
- Helps maintain cleanliness around the toilet.
- Not suitable for small kittens.
Mikhail: “We used to buy our cats an ordinary tray with low sides. Can you imagine what was happening around him? When cats start rowing furiously, having done their job, the contents of the tray are scattered throughout the bathroom. It was necessary to clean not only the cat’s toilet, but also the bathroom. There is no such problem with this model. Even if the cat starts rowing in the tray with all his might, everything remains inside the pot. “